CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

A Personal Welcome from Frances

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Overflow: Meaning what you say!

Today I wanted to share some convictions that God has placed on my heart about meaning it when I say "I'll pray for you." It seems like that has become the Christian's version of "Hi, how are you" or "See you later"! I have been way too guilty of promising that I will pray over someone's doctor visit, troubled marriage, school meeting, surgery, or suffering friends...and then forgetting soon after I walk away.

I have prayed for the person as I have walked away...many times so that I wouldn't be guilty of lying right to their face. I'm just being real here about my own crazy flesh right now. God really began to convict me of not meaning it when I said I would certainly be praying for someone. Have you had trouble remembering like me? It's not that we don't WANT to pray...heaven's no! We desire it with everything in us...but somehow life happens and a week has flown by and we quickly mumble some kind of prayer as we see them coming down the hall of church. We smile and say..."I prayed for you, Sister!" Um...somehow...I don't think that was cutting it:)

So, God showed me yet another way to mean what I say! I reminded me that I have a phone (it can be ANY phone. Seriously, I have had an iphone for like 3 months and before that I had a hideously old flip phone! It had a calendar with an alarm feature and it does perfectly!). So, as people emailed, called, and spoke with me about a prayer request I would take out my phone and program in the date of their meeting, dr. visit, divorce proceeding, or even schedule them every single morning for that week!

I would always set an alert for either during my gathering time with the Lord or at the moment that they were entering that meeting or dr. visit. I still do this even today! Every time someone asks me to pray...I set it on my phone to remind me so that I am there praying with them at just the time they need it. Certainly God brings them to mind at other times...but I don't have to miss an important moment when a sister is counting on me to join in prayer.

I have also set certain people on my calendar alert to pray every morning. I have promised them that I would join them in prayer each day over an issue. So, that alert goes off and I immediately pray! It has truly been a PRAYER saver!

You can ask some of my close friends...there are ALWAYS alarms going off on my phone. I have to remind myself of practically everything! But, I tell ya...I WORKS! And it should encourage you too if you are like me and have struggled with remembering to pray over people.

I felt so awful telling dear friends that I would be praying for them...and then I would just forget. It broke my heart and grieved me in my spirit. God has graciously helped me to use even my calendar to HIS glory...I love it!

One other perk of this system...it always reminds me to follow up! I try to text right then to let them know I am praying right at that moment. I will email or call (if they don't text) and let them know I was praying specifically and to see how everything went. It helps me to be more sensitive to the lives of others and get my thought off SELF and onto those around me!

I know almost ALL of you have a phone with some kind of reminder thing on it. If mine did...you can be sure your does! Check it out and when someone asks you to pray whip that baby out and set a reminder. I promise your friend will feel super special as you tell them it is so important for you to pray and not forget that you are setting that reminder RIGHT then. Also...I will make them feel better about themselves and their fleeting memory:)

Love you all to pieces and back together again!

Thrive 365~
Frances

0 comments: