CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

A Personal Welcome from Frances

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Overflow: Do it right NOW!

How many times have you been on the phone with a friend who is pouring out her heart breaking issue and as you get off the phone you tell her "I'll be praying for you"? How often are you meeting a friend for a quick coffee and she is sharing some struggles she is having in her marriage. You listen and nod...but get up to leave with the promise to "be praying" for her?

Recently in a book called "A Mother After God's Own Heart" Elizabeth George knocked my socks off! She said that when she is on the phone with her kids (they are grown with families) and they share a need in their lives...she NEVER lets them off the phone without praying over that issue. She does that with all her friends too! Whew...con.vic.tion!

God totally pricked my heart on this issue! And...it's SO obvious...but I still forget! I am still working on this one in my life for sure. I find myself listening and journeying with women ALL the time. I get so involved that many times I simply get off the phone or leave the conversation and never pray for them RIGHT then!

The times that I have remembered...it has been SWEET and PRECIOUS and POWERFUL! I have asked God to remind me, remind me, remind me to do this. I still struggle remembering (a huge surprise, right?) but it's coming slowly.

I will also tell you that it changes your conversation! It is a totally different feel when you stop and ask that person if you can pray over that situation right now. It lets them and you be mindful that we are not to be about talk but about POWER! Prayer is powerful...because our GOD is powerful!!

Recently God reminded me on a phone conversation with one of my sweetest friends and our time of prayer was totally amazing! We prayed for each other and I felt so encouraged after hearing her sweet prayer over me and my family. What a blessing I would have missed!

When you offer to pray right NOW, it lets that person know that God is the one who has the power...not you. It also stops lots of groaning and gossiping when you pray together over the situation. I tell ya...it is awesome!

I pray that I will be more mindful to not simply tell someone that I will be "praying for you", but to pray WITH them right then (and also pray for them at other times!). You can do this on email also. Instead of emailing someone that you are praying for them...write those prayers out. Let them know what you are praying! Encourage them with your prayers.

If God brings someone to my heart to pray over...I try to either email or text them right that moment. I may not have time to call and chat, but I can shoot a quick note to let them know I am praying at that moment exactly for them specifically. It is so encouraging when I get those same notes and know that God is moving the hearts of those around me to pray for my family and struggles and battles!

Don't you just LOVE how smart and creative and kind our God is? Don't you love how we can engage with Him and talk to Him through the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ? It's awesome!

Let's ask God together to remind us to not just say we will pray...but do it right NOW!

Thrive 365~
Frances

0 comments: