CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

A Personal Welcome from Frances

Monday, June 23, 2008

Desert Devotion: June 23, 2008

"Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves." Matthew 21:18

There are so very many today that are simply portraying a kind of cultural Christianity. They go to church, they do "good" things, they try to be honest and have integrity. They may even serve as Sunday School teachers, deacons, or ministers. They are trees without fruit.

As I read this passage today, I am grateful for the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life. It is that presence of God in my life every moment giving me things I could never have...bearing fruit I could never bear. Take a long look at the kind of fruit the Spirit bears in the life surrendered to Christ...

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23

This world is hungry to see people bearing fruit of a different kind. They understand the fruit of self: anger, frustration, stealing, cheating, lust, adultery, addiction, lying, gossip, depression, irritation and pride. But, this is not the fruit that the Spirit bears!

This world is tired of seeing people say they have fruit...but when the hungry come by...there is only the appearance of growth. There isn't any fruit. How do we bear this fruit? Take a look at what Jesus said...

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:1-5

Wow! This passage is so rich! But, don't miss the instructions of bearing fruit...did you get it? We must remain in Christ, because no branch by itself can bear fruit. We must remain in Christ and surrender to the saving grace given to us on the cross of Calvary.

Oh, how this world is starving for those who can not only bear fruit...but can show them how to bear fruit themselves! Perhaps today you are one of those trees that looks great, but can't bear fruit because you are not in Christ. You know of Him...but you've never been a part of the vine for real. You are like an artifical tree...looking fine but will never be able to bear fruit or live.

Perhaps today, you are a part of that vine, but you are being pruned. Oh, friends I understand how that feels. I am always undergoing discipline and pruning...but it is to make us MORE fruitful!

Don't miss that precious little sentence that tells us that we are clean by the word He has spoken to us! Stay in the word and in step with the Spirit's leading and you will be bearing amazing God-glorifying fruit. Give it away...there's someone in your life today that is hungry to know the fruit of God! Share your sweet self today...

0 comments: