CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

A Personal Welcome from Frances

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What Jesus Demands from the World

I am in the midst of reading the book "What Jesus Demands from the World" by John Piper. There is a quote that I simply want to share with you that I have been reminded of each day...

"The entire life and work of Jesus is one great argument why we should listen to his word. Page after page of the New Testament Gospels pile up reasons to turn off the television and listen to Jesus (pg. 56)".

What a conviction! What a challenge! What a Truth! I have been in the book of Matthew now for over 3 months. I have been in Matthew 26 for about 8 days and I am quickly approaching the crucifixion of Christ. I am now sitting beside Peter as he has followed Jesus at a distance and is sitting among the guards. This passage rings in my ears today:

"Then those who had seized Jesus led him to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders had gathered. And Peter was following him at a distance, as far as the courtyard of the high priest, and going inside he sat with the guards to see the end." Matthew 26:56-58

Peter has heard the words of Jesus day after day. He has followed Him, seen Him transfigured in all His glory, broken bread with Him, loved Him, shared his home with Jesus. Yet, at this point he follows at a distance...sits among the guards and waits to see the end.

I pray today that I would not follow at a distance. I pray that I would cling to the life-giving words of Jesus Christ. I pray that I will turn off those distractions and attention grabbers of this world and listen to the words of Christ again and again and again. I pray that I would be changed moment by moment by those words.

I confess that all too often I hear His words and see His power...but am found following slowly, lacking faith to walk beside Him down the road to sacrifice and death. I simply want to take my seat and wait to see what will happen before I go jumping out in faith. I wait to see the end.

Today, Jesus reminds me that I HAVE seen the end! I have the precious Bible that is the full revelation of the story! I have seen with eyes of faith his life, death, and Resurrection. Yet, I must allow that to propel me daily into a life that walks in step with Him instead of at a distance. I can walk in step with Christ because the battle has been won...the story is victorious...I have seen the end!

Today, I pray that you will join me in turning from those things that grab your time and attention and listen to Jesus. Today, don't follow at a distance. Don't let His words fall on you today and remain unchanged. Let's walk day by day in step with Jesus as we listen intently with ears to hear! That is my prayer today!

0 comments: