CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

A Personal Welcome from Frances

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Luke 1:50-51

His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.

Mary’s song is amazing to me. I love to hear her heart as she ponders being blessed by God to carry His Son…wow, even thinking about that blows my mind! Can you imagine being the mother of God’s Son? The Savior of the world…me neither!

Here she speaks of the mercy of those who fear God…that it extends from generation to generation. Then, she counters that with those who are proud in their inmost thoughts…they are scattered. One line of blessing we see unifies and ties together generations upon generation. The other is scattered.

That is something for us to ponder today. Do we have pride in our inmost thoughts? It doesn’t say that the ones who were scattered were simply those who were obviously outwardly prideful. It reminds us that God sees our inmost hearts and thoughts and He must be first there. It’s easy many times for us to seem humble on the outside. Many of us in church have learned to play the game really well. We seem to be full of humility.

But, God looks on the heart while man is focused on the outward appearance. I want to be humble on the inside. In those thoughts no one ever hears or sees. I can’t say that’s true of me yet. There are still so many times that my first thought is myself. When I get irritated with something silly…I am mad because it is an inconvenience for my schedule. When I get angry over a comment…I am simply offended that everyone doesn’t think highly of me. When I judge someone in my mind…I am putting myself above him or her.

Pride is a sneaky thing that most of us deal with on a daily basis. Prideful people aren’t the ones who see mercy visit generation upon generation of their families. They are scattered and alone. That is NOT the heritage that I would want for my family. Mary didn’t want that either. She praised God that He gave mercy to those who feared Him and that the mercy He gave would not only be for her…but for generations through the birth, death, and ressurection of the baby boy she was carrying.

That is where mercy is found…in the holy blood of Christ shed for a lost and dying world…a world full of pride. A world that was scattered and torn by sin. A world that hated Him and refused to give up their own agenda and pride to embrace a Messiah of lowly position here on earth.

Lord, don’t let me live in pride. May I follow closely the steps of Jesus…filled with mercy not only for myself, but mercy on the generations to come. May my life be one that draws my family and friends into mercy found only in the blood of Jesus Christ…my beautiful Savior. You are worthy of all my inmost thoughts…may they be filled with the wonder of Your mercy moment by moment. May Your mercy leave no room for petty thoughts of me. I love you Jesus!

0 comments: