CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

A Personal Welcome from Frances

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Great is HIS faithfulness - Part 1

I want to share a few stories with you that have literally brought us to such a fresh and powerful place of total dependence on our Lord. I am only now able to share one of these as God has once again opened the doors of heaven and provided for us.

We have been amazingly blessed that God sold our house 3 years ago in two days, for cash, at the price we wanted. AMAZING in a market that was beginning to crumble! At that time, God granted us the privilege of being debt free. We sold our home, paid off our minivan, all medical and credit card bills...and moved into an apartment. We thought we were headed to live in Africa at the time...but God had other plans. He moved in our hearts the desire to live completely debt free...forever.

This my friends, was a new and unfamiliar idea. See, in my flesh, I deal with impulsivity. I am spontaneous, energetic, passionate...and want to tackle the day all at one time! I want to do it now! That is great when it comes to follow the plans God has for your life. Not so great when tackling that day brings Vera Bradley purses...that need a matching wallet, keyring, luggage, folder, and stationary. You think I kid :)

In my flesh I see something...and I RUN hard after it...TODAY...no time to waste...go for it! Like when my husband went out of town on a mission trip to Mexico. I took those 10 days to paint the ENTIRE OUTSIDE of my house and the garage!!! I'm talking scraping, power washing, cleaning gutters, sanding, painting shutters, trim, and the WHOLE house a completely different color. BY. MY. SELF.  In JUNE!

Ask my friend Shannon...she was there as I teetered near disaster on a ladder painting. I looked so horrible that one of my neighbors didn't even recognize me in my husband's clothes with a baseball cap on...painting my HOUSE! That is the kind of woman my husband got yoked up with:) You should have seen him pulling into the driveway...priceless!

But, this impulsivity can be quite a challenge for my very level headed, business major from Auburn husband. Can I give you a for instance? Want to walk down memory lane with me a bit? Good...

Jay and I are just married (13 years ago last Monday!!!! Love, love love him!!!) and for some CRAZY reason my wonderful husband (who was going to be a CPA before he was called into the ministry!) decided to let ME be in charge of the budget. Ahem...I know.

Well, for a while I tried desperately to manage our checkbook, keep up with pesky debit card receipts, and try to pay bills. Months into this disasterous wonderful arrangement we had, we get a very thin little envelope from the bank. In it was a kind little letter saying that we were in overdraft and that they had ever so kindly decided to charge my account that didn't have any money in it...MORE money. Yeah...I never really understood that logic either. But anywoo...

My husband promptly calls the bank and finds out that we are over $200 in overdraft!! Now, when you are in seminary, newly married, and making a combined income of $16,000 a year $200 is a LOT of money!!! Actually, it's a lot of money no matter who you are!

So, he comes to me and asks me to sit down and let him look over my checkbook register. Oh, I don't even want to tell you this story...but I must. You won't get how amazing my God is...unless you see the amazing weakness of this vessel.

I take out my checkbook register and hand it to him. He opens it and is silent for a little while with a puzzled look on his face. He turns to me and he says, "why are all your debits in whole dollar amounts?"

"Well, I just round the transaction. See, if the amount of the purchase was $5.20, I just put $5.00. But, if the purchase is $7.80 I would round up to $8.00," I explained innocently.

"WHAT!!!!!!"

Yeah...that WHAT could have been heard clear to Africa. He was in total shock...and not all together happy at that moment. Then he demanded to see the statements the bank had been sending. (Uggg...I am cringing at myself!) I handed him a folder stuffed with UNOPENED envelopes that I supposed must have been statements...though I wouldn't know because I NEVER opened them:)

From that moment...my husband went up to the bank and paid the $200 and then closed our account. We had to move banks. There was no recovery from something like that. And then...he took over the money. But, I still didn't have any heart change. I just figured I wasn't any good with money. I entered into the blissful land of ignorance of all things money and went along my merry way.

Now, we have never had money. We have almost always lived on one income (except when I worked and he went to school before I had Anli). So, I never spent big...just impulsively. That wrecks havoc on a budget, my friend! So, each month we were a bit off here, a lot off there...use the credit card for medical bills, car repairs, and co-pays. If we didn't have it...I just charged it. They were all what I thought were "necessities." And never once did I consult my Provider in prayer. I just did it.

Years and years go by and we grow further and further into debt. Nothing like the statistics Dave Ramsey quotes, but too much! It was sucking our income and we were in bondage to the lender...like Scripture warns. We couldn't give more...because the credit card interest and bills were wasting away what God had given us. It was a trap...and I felt more and more convicted.

THEN, I read an amazingly convicting book by Wayne Coleman called "Obedience: The Key to Prosperity." It ROCKED my world! I would sit reading it (I was helping Wayne find a publisher at the time) and literally just cry. I would read portions of it to Jay and literally want to sink into the grave. I was undone.

He used Scripture to convict my heart of lack of prayer, lack of trust in God, and selfishness. It was a huge turning point in my life. Then...Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace entered the picture and gave common sense ideas to living debt free forever. From that time on...our lives have been different.

Credit cards were NEVER allowed into our lives again. "What do you do?" you might ask. How do you deal with car repairs? Medical issues? Unexpected expenses? I can now truly tell you how!

Pray.

I mean for real, desperate, on your face with your kids kind of prayer. That has unleashed the POWER of the Holy Spirit in such way that we have been changed forever. We can't go back. We have tasted and seen how God provides and moves mountains and does miracles...that we just can't ever go back to the bondage of the world. It's exciting!!!

So, now you are caught up. You know my weakness in order to glory in the strength of Christ through this. I am going to share a few amazing stories with you over the next few days. But, you had to start here with me in order to see that if God can change this girl...He can do it for you! His Word promises it!

But, be aware! It is NOT easy. It is NOT popular. Satan wants you to run hard after the American dream! He wants you in bondage! And he does NOT want you to trust God and pray...no way! But, it is possible to live debt free...forever!

I can't wait to share these stories of HIS faithfulness!

0 comments: