CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

A Personal Welcome from Frances

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Free to Give - Thoughts on John 15

Today, my gathering time with the Lord revolved around John 15. Many of you know this passage as it is about Jesus being the True Vine and we are the branches...and it we abide in Him we will bear much fruit. Without Him...we can do NOTHING! As I have moved further and further along in this chapter, I came today to another part of this passage. In verse 12 Jesus says:

"This is my commandment: Love each other in the SAME way I have loved you."

The same way Jesus did it. How did He do it? Well, Jesus tells them in the next sentences what this love will look like:

"There is no greater love than to lay down you life for your friends."

Who are my friends? Glad you asked:) Jesus goes on to answer that for us:

"You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. You didn't choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit."

Why did He do all of that? Why did He lay down His life for those who believe? Why should be do the same?


Jesus came to us when we were still overwhelmed with sin in our lives and laid His life down for us...those who will believe. He has told us everything that God the Father has said, chose us, and appointed us to GO and produce LASTING fruit.

Those who truly remain and abide in the love of God will follow His commands and the example of His love. But those who really abide in Him...will hear everything the Father has said. They will seek deeply after His Word and listen closely to all He has to say. They will run to the Word knowing that God Himself is confiding in them as friends. The Spirit who searches the deep things of God reveals them to us...so we have the mind of Christ! Can I get a Hallelujah?????

But, there is another part. We are appointed to a task. We are given a job...chosen for us by God. We have an assignment...

Go.

And produce LASTING fruit.

Don't miss the parallel. Don't miss tension we face here...

In order to ABIDE... we must GO. In order to REMAIN...we must go out.

This morning as I was walking and praying around our complex with my dog...I just confessed how I don't truly live with the urgency that 4.5 million people are walking on this earth and are completely lost. They have NO idea what the love and the glory and the salvation of Jesus Christ are like. They haven't met the friend that has laid his life down for them. They don't know what it is like to be called friend instead of slave. They can't imagine producing anything other than a nice paycheck to pay for a nice house and have a nice life. They are producing nothing.

And yet I meet those folks at the stores, on the street, in my complex...and many times I am way too busy remaining and abiding (or so I think!) and I haven't even stopped to GO and produce lasting fruit. Fruit that will be in eternity with me. I glide by humming my praise songs...

We are APPOINTED to GO and produce lasting fruit!!!

I am appointed to GO and produce lasting fruit!!!

We have been chosen as friends of GOD! He has a plan and purpose for our lives...and that means we GO. It means we run to spend time with the Lord every single day in order to hear the things He will confide in us as friends. And then with the humility of being a chosen friend of God...we GO...and full of the Holy Spirit we have the power to produce His lasting fruit.

Oh, Jesus may it be true in my life. Continue to fan the flame of passion for the lost in my heart! Please keep giving me creative ways to reach those around me with the kind of love You gave to me. May I have the courage to lay down my very life for the sake of the Gospel today! I pray for my Afghan brothers and sisters who are literally right now fleeing for their very lives. I pray for them to know the deep love and strength in their weakness. May Your glory shine so brightly in their lives!! My my heart be always mindful of my brothers and sisters in the persecuted church. And may I lay down everything I have to join them!





0 comments: