CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

A Personal Welcome from Frances

Thursday, March 25, 2010

John 7:58-8:1

"They each (disciples) went to their own houses, but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives."

Somehow today I couldn't get past this passage. I just had to stop and think on this one. Now, I have known in my head that Jesus said that he had no place to lay his own head...but in this passage I just could feel it. I felt loneliness for Jesus here.

Can you just imagine getting to the end of teaching at the Feast of Tabernacles and all the questioning he undergoes...then his disciples all return to their own homes to rest and relax. And Jesus? He goes to the Mount of Olives...and it says he stays there until the next day at dawn when he appeared at the temple gates.

I thought about how He went to that mountain while everyone else was talking, laughing, and enjoying time with family in their own homes...while Jesus is outside alone. No wonder the Mount of Olives was so dear to Him. We see Him spending much of His time there in prayer. It was a place He was alone with His Father...but alone nonetheless.

Today I saw a glimpse of the loneliness that Jesus might have had here on this earth. Away from all the glories of Heaven and the honor rightfully due Him. Here our Savior is...sleeping alone outside. It just became more real to me today. It made me stop and be more thankful for the difficulties He faced every moment - and ultimately on the Cross.

As we are quickly working towards Good Friday and Easter, I pray that the familiar story does not fail to become real and personal this year. I pray that you will read and celebrate afresh. Let the Scriptures wash over you anew like never before. Get to know Jesus in a REAL way this year through His Word.

I pray that I will not loose the personal power and perspective of the Good News. May it change me every minute! Some days the Word doesn't come with a loud trumpet...today it came in quiet reflection and thankfulness to my Savior.

0 comments: